For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS STADACONA II
Exhibition Grounds Halifax, NS
In the early part of the war there was insufficient accommodations and facilities in Halifax to house and train the sailors for the rapidly expanding RCN. In the spring of 1940, of 1,400 naval ratings training in Halifax, only a third were in barracks. That summer, the Navy requisitioned the Exhibition Grounds and erected temporary buildings to house the hundreds of new trainees arriving in Halifax. The RCN Signals School was also established there.
The building at the Exhibition Grounds were commissioned as HMCS Stadacona II on 01 Aug 1940 until 30 Sep 1941. In the summer of 1941 the signal school re-located to St Hyacinthe, Quebec and was commissioned as HMCS St Hyacinthe.
Photos and Documents
Hostilities AG V/S 05 Feb 1941
Visual Signalmen Course, RCN Signals School, HMCS Stadacona II
From the collection of John Morrison, CPO Sig, RCNVR
Courtesy of Cathy Stroud
Click on the above photo to view a larger image
(7) Morrison, John. O/Sig