For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
NRS / HMC NRS / HMCS / CFS
In 1942, the United States Army Air Corps established a base called Fort Churchill, located five miles east of the town. Naval Radio Station Churchill was activated as an ionospheric study station by the RCN in support of the U-boat HFDF net and became operational on August 1, 1943. It commissioned as HMC NRS and remained that way from 1 Dec 1950 to July 1956. From July 1956 to July 1966 the station became HMCS Churchill then changing to CFS Churchill in July 1966 until the base closed.
Photos and Documents (below)