For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

COVERDALE

HMC NRS / HMCS / CFS

HMCS Coverdale - date unknown

 

Coverdale, a tender to Stadacona, was established as a Special Wireless Station (HF/DF) on Nov 23, 1942. It was situated across the Petitcodiac River, slightly south of Moncton, New Brunswick. Construction was completed in the January-February 1944 period and commencement of operations began when WRENS started arriving in numbers. Because this site was located over a tremendous bog, it was selected for HF/DF operations because it provided a very good ground plane for radio frequency signals and the abundance of water provided a good source of domestic water. Between December 1949 and July 1956 it was renamed HMC NRS Coverdale. From July 1, 1956 to July 19, 1966 it was known as HMCS Coverdale. After the unification of the Canadian Armed Forces, the station became CFS Coverdale

 

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT