For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Tug GLENDYNE W68 / YTB 503
Glendyne was built in 1945 by Russel Bros., Owen Sound, Ont. She was one of the Glen Class tugs that assisted ships of the RCN in entering and leaving harbour. Glendyne sank in 1957 while towing the aircraft carrier HMCS Magnificent - having been pulled over by the carrier's mooring lines. One man, the tugs cook, was trapped inside and drowned. Another sailor died later in hospital. A Board of Inquiry blamed communication problems between the carrier and tugs. Glendyne was raised a few days later and was repaired and continued service in the East Coast Auxiliary Fleet until 1979. After being paid off she was sunk as a training site for Navy Divers at Eastern Passage. He wheelhouse was saved and installed on the wharf of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and is used as a ticket booth for Bluenose II when she is in port.
CFAV Glendyne - date unknown