For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

HMCS STAR

Former RCNVR Half-Company Hamilton

Hamilton, Ontario

HMCS Star, Hamilton, ON

 

Canada's 2nd oldest Naval Reserve Division, HMCS STAR traces its official beginning to 15 Mar 1923, when Lt Ralph H. Yeates was appointed the first Commanding Officer of the Hamilton Half Company of the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve. Originally the Company offices were shared with the Navy League in the Imperial Building on the corner of Main Street East & Hughson Street South, but that winter the unit moved into a sail loft at the corner of Bay and Burlington Streets and stayed there until 1935 when a move was made to the old Williamson/Dominion Vinegar Works at 41 Stuart Street.

When the Second World War started, the Hamilton Division became a major recruiting depot for the navy with 7,490 officers, men and WRCNS enlisted there. Commissioned as HMCS STAR on 01 Nov 1941, the unit soon outgrew its old quarters and construction began on a temporary wartime home located in five acres of Eastwood Park bought from the City of Hamilton, moving there in the fall of 1943.

After the war from 1953 to 1966, STAR shared its premises with HMCS PATRIOT, the Headquarters of the Commanding Officer Naval Divisions (COND), located in Building #1, the current home of the 23rd Service Battalion and the 23rd Field Ambulance. Also sharing space was the Great Lakes Training Centre, or what would now be called Fleet School (Hamilton).

Having served for over fifty years, STARís Second World War temporary quarters were demolished in 1995 to make way for the present building, which was opened in 1997.

(Source for the history of HMCS STAR:  Hamilton Naval Heritage Association)

 

Photos and Documents

 

Commanding Officers

Lt Ralph Yates, RCNVR 15 Mar 1923 - unknown

 

  

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

 

Photos and Documents

 

HMCS Star Band - circa 1943

Ivan Chamberlain - front row behind the base drum

From the collection of Ivan Chamberlain

Courtesy of Dave Chamberlain

HMCS Star Band - circa 1943

Ivan Chamberlain - front row behind the base drum

From the collection of Ivan Chamberlain

Courtesy of Dave Chamberlain

HMCS Star, Joining Class, June 1943

George Howse holding Kisbee ring

From the collection of George Howse

Courtesy of Dennis Carson

Joining Class HMCS Star 1943

From the wartime photo collection of Raymond Burton

This photo is not for reproduction, distribution or sale

Copyright Elizabeth Wagner

Newspaper article on HMCS Star's weekly sports day

Crow's Nest newspaper - Feb 1944

Newspaper article on HMCS Star's unbeaten hockey team

Crow's Nest newspaper - Apr 1944

 

Parade from HMCS Star, Hamilton, May 1944

 

WRCNS and Hamilton Volunteer Naval Aid Corps

 

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

photo 6

photo 7

photo 8

photo 9

photo 10

photo 11

photo 12

 

(2) Lillian, Betty, Muriel, unknown, Gabby, Jessie  (6) Margaret on left  (7) Mrs. Hest  (8) Buglers  (11) Lillian, Marg and Muriel - Hamilton Volunteer Naval Aid Corps  (12) Marion Scott 07 May 1944

 

These photos are from the wartime photo collection of Raymond Burton

They are not for reproduction, distribution or sale

Copyright Elizabeth Wagner

 

 

 

While in training at HMCS Star ....

 

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

photo 6

photo 7

photo 8

 

(1) Raymond Burton at Wellington Park, Hamilton, ON  (2) Raymond Burton  (3) Raymond Burton  (4) Jack Spooner  (5) Jack Spooner at Wellington Park, Hamilton, ON  (6) Marg Partridge, Jack Spooner and Murriel Cropper  (7) Jack Spooner  (8) Muriel and Lillian

 

These photos are from the wartime photo collection of Raymond Burton

They are not for reproduction, distribution or sale

Copyright Elizabeth Wagner

 

Webmaster's Note: Photos 1 and 5 were identified as being at Gore Park in Hamilton, Ontario, but info was submitted that shows the actual location to be Wellington Park, Hamilton, Ontario.

 

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT