For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Fairmile Motor Launch - Q106
Then PTC 706
Then HMCS BEAVER 706
Built by Grew Boats Ltd., Penetanguishene, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 28 Aug 1943. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels). In Jun 1944 and Jan 1945, Q106 was listed as part of the 70th ML Flotilla. Sold in 1945, she was re-acquired by the RCN and re-entered service as PTC 706. On 18 May 1954, PTC 706 was commissioned as HMCS Beaver and she remained in service until being paid off on 13 Nov 1957.
From The Fairmiles - Canada's Little Ships "Listed in a naval call sign document dated June 8th, 1948 as HMC ML106 call sign CZGS. She became HMCS BEAVER in 1954, international call sign CZGS, pendant 706 and radiotelephone “Irium E”."