For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Fairmile Motor Launch - Q080
Built by Taylor and Sons, J.J., Toronto, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 17 Jun 1942. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels). Q080 was a "B" Type ML, Length: 112 ft, Beam: 17.9 ft, Draft: 4.9 ft, Complement: 3 officers, 14 men, Armament: 3-20mm. In Apr 1944 and 1945, Q080 was listed as part of the 79th ML Flotilla. Sold 1945 she was re-named: Quarterdeck, later Almeta Queen, Cosa Grande. She was found abandoned 2007.
From The Fairmiles - Canada's Little Ships "After the war Q080 was sold to United Boat Service Corp., New York, USA. and was renamed Almeta Queen, Cosa Grande and Quarterdeck. According to the coxswain, Leading Torpedoman C. Muloine, HMC ML080 spent the summer and fall of 1942 in the Gulf of St Lawrence. She struck Prince Edward Island in the area where the present Wood Island ferry docks in a storm in mid January, 1943, and the crew was rescued by a farmer with a horse and sleigh. She was towed to Pictou, Nova Scotia and repaired but was a training vessel after that. He recorded this on page 23 in the book Fading Memories. HMC ML080 was also involved in the incident that ripped the upper deck off of HMC ML064 as noted above. The Air Force recorded Fairmile # 080 as visiting RCAF DAartmouth on May 3rd, 1945, on page 145 in the book The Royal Canadian Air Force Marine Squadrons, volume two, 1945 – 1985 by Geoff D. Pilborough. If this was HMC ML080 she probably served around Halifax as a training vessel."
Photos and Documents