For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS ST. THOMAS K488
Built at Smith's Dock Co., South Bank-on-Tees, UK, she was aid down and launched as HMS Sandgate Castle. On 04 May 1944 she was transferred to the RCN and commissioned at Middlesbrough as HMCS St. Thomas K488. In Jun 1944 St. Thomas carried out workups at Tobermory, leaving later that month for Londonderry where, in Jul 1944, she became part of EG C-3. She sailed on 03 Aug 1944 to join ON.247, her first convoy, and was employed as an ocean escort for the rest of the war. On 27 Dec 1944, while escorting HX.327, she sank U 877 in the North Atlantic; rescuing 35 of the U-boats crew - HMCS Sea Cliff rescued 21 of the U-boats crew. She left Londonderry for the last time on 11 Apr 1945, commencing refit on arrival at Halifax 30 Apr 1945. Following completion of the refit in Jul 1945 she sailed for the west coast and was paid off at Esquimalt on 22 Nov 1945. In 1946 she was sold to the Union Steamship Co., Vancouver, converted to a coastal passenger vessel, and renamed Camosun. She was renamed Chilcotin in 1958 and, later that year, Yukon Star. After several years idleness, she was broken up at Tacoma in 1974.
Convoys escorted during WW II
Photos and Documents (below)