For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS ST. PIERRE K680
Built at Lauzon, Que., by davie Shipbuilding & Repairing Co. Ltd., she was commissioned on 22 Aug 1944, at Quebec City. She arrived at Halifax in Oct 1944 and spent more than four months under repair. She carried out workups in Bermuda in Mar 1945 and on 05 Apr 1945 left for Londonderry via the Azores, having been assigned to EG 9. From Horta she picked up convoy SC.172, arriving at `Derry on 21 Apr 1945. On 12 May 1945 she left Greenock to escort JW.67 to North Russia, but was detached the next day to accompany a number of surrendered U-boats bound from Trondheim to Loch Eriboll (click here to see photos in HMCS Monnow's gallery). She left the U.K. late that month for Canada, and on 04 June 1945 commenced tropicalization refit at Lauzon. The job was called off on 20 Aug 1945 and the ship paid off 22 Nov 1945 at Sydney, to be placed in reserve at Shelburne. In 1947 she was sold to the Peruvian Navy and renamed Teniente Palacios, shorted to Palacios in 1953. She was broken up in 1966.
From The Montreal Gazette March 31, 1947 Page 19 - Ex-R.C.N. Frigates Ready - Halifax, March 30. - Peruvian officers and crews were making final preparations here today for the sailing of the former Royal Canadian Navy frigates Poundmaker and St. Pierre, recently refitted at nearby Dartmouth at a cost of $200,000. The ships, renamed the Teniente Ferre and Teniente Palacios, will take up service with the Peruvian Navy.