For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS SNOWBERRY K166
Former HMS SNOWBERRY (1940)
Then HMS SNOWBERRY K166 (1945)
Built for the RN, she was commissioned at Quebec City on 26 Nov 1940 as HMS Snowberry. She arrived at Halifax on 13 Dec 1940 for further work and sailed 09 Feb 1941, with convoy HX.108 for the U.K. There she completed fitting out at Greenock, completing 03 Apr 1940, and worked up at Tobermory before joining Western Approaches Command, Greenock, in May. On 15 May 1941 she was transferred to the RCN and commissioned as HMCS Snowberry K166. She left Aultbea early in Jun 1941 to join convoy OB.332, arriving at Halifax on 23 Jun 1941 to join Newfoundland Command. From Jul to Oct 1941 she made three round trips to Iceland, and on 08 Dec 1941 arrived at Charleston, S.C., for six weeks' refit. On 12 Feb 1942, she left St. John's to escort SC.69 to Londonderry. In Mar 1942 she joined the newly formed WLEF, shifting in June to Halifax Tanker Escort Force for one round trip to Trinidad and two round trips to Aruba with Tanker convoys. In Sep 1942 she was placed under U.S. control, escorting New York-Guantanamo convoys until Mar 1943, when she arrived at Charleston, S.C., for refit, including fo'c's'le extension. On completion in mid-May 1942, and after workups at Pictou, she joined the newly established EG 5 (later EG 6) and returned to U.K. waters in Aug 1942. While serving with this support force on 20 Nov 1943, as escort to a U.K.-Gibraltar/ Freetown convoy, she took part in the sinking of U 536 north of the Azores. When the group replaces its corvettes with frigates in Mar 1944, Snowberry proceeded to Baltimore, Md., for five weeks' refit, afterward returning to Halifax. She went to Bermuda to work up in July 1944, and on returning was briefly assigned to WLEF but left St. John's in mid-September for the U.K. There she joined Portsmouth Command for the balance of the war. She was handed back to the RN at Rosyth on 08 Jun 1945, and sunk as a target vessel off Portsmouth in 1946. Salvaged and broken up at Thornaby-on-Tees in 1947.