For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS PORTE ST JEAN 180
Built by George T. Davie & Sons Ltd., Lauzon, Que, Porte St. Jean was commissioned on 05 Dec 1951. Named after the gate of the French fortifications at Quebec City and Louisbourg, they were designed specifically to operate the gates in anti-submarine booms, but served primarily as training vessels in peace-time. Porte St. Jean was paid off on 31 Mar 1996.
Specifications on completion: Displacement: 420 tons full load, Length: 125 ft, Beam: 26.3 ft, Draught: 13 ft, Speed: 11 kts, Complement: 3 officers, 20 men, Armament: 1-40mm. The 40mm was later removed.