For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS NORSYD K520
Then Cargo Vessel BALBOA (1945-46)
Then HAGANAH (1946)
Then INS HAGANAH K20 (1948)
The name is a contraction of North Sydney. Norsyd was commissioned at Quebec City on 22 Dec 1943 and, en route to Halifax, was diverted to Indiantown, N.B., for fitting-out that was not completed until mid-Mar 1944. She arrived in Bermuda later that month to work up, and on her return was assigned to EG W-7, escorting local convoys, until Nov 1944, when she was transferred to EG C-2, St. John's, taking her first convoy, HX.323, eastward early in Dec 1944. On 27 May 1945, she began a refit at Halifax and soon after its completion, on 25 Jun 1945 was paid off and laid up at Sorel. She was sold into mercantile service in 1948 as Balboa. In 1946 it was purchased by the Mossad Le Aliya bet (The Institute for Immigration B.) the ship was called “Hagana” (Defence), and it sailed to Palestine in the end of Jul 1946 from Yugoslavia. It was caught by HMS Venus several days later, boarded and brought to Haifa, were it’s occupants were interned in Palestine. After the Declaration of Israel’s Independence, it was converted to be Corvette and commissioned on 18 Jul 1948 as INS Haganah. She served until broken up in 1956.