For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS NIPIGON J154 / 188
built by Dufferin Shipbuilding Co., Toronto, Ont, she was commissioned at Toronto on 11 Aug 1941. She arrived at Halifax on 05 Sep 1941 and was the first of the Bangor class to join Sydney Force, on 03 Oct 1941, and remained with it until her return to Halifax on 17 Jan 1942. She was then assigned for varying periods to WLEF, Halifax Force, and Newfoundland Force. She was again attached to WLEF when, in Jun 1943, that force was divided into escort groups, and she commenced a major refit at Lunenburg and Liverpool, N.S., on completion of which she sailed in May 1944 to work up in Bermuda. Returning in mid-Jun 1944, she was assigned to Halifax Force until it was disbanded a year later, afterward performing various duties on the Atlantic coast. Nipigon was paid off at Sydney on 13 Oct 1945, and laid up at Shelburne. She was placed in strategic reserve at Sorel in 1946 but was re-acquired and refitted in 1952, though not re-commissioned. She was transferred to the Turkish Navy on 29 Nov 1957 and served a Bafra until 1972.
Photos and Documents