For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS MOOSE JAW K164
Built at Collingwood, she was commissioned at Montreal on 19 Jun 1941, and arrived at Halifax on 27 Jun 1941 for final fitting-out. After working up, she arrived at St. John's on 25 Aug 1941 to Join Newfoundland Command, and on 05 Sep 1941, sailed with Chambly for exercises. The two were ordered to reinforce the beleaguered convoy SC.42, which lost 18 ships, and just before joining on 10 Sep 1941, they surprised and sank U 501 astern of the convoy. Moose Jaw, which had rammed the U-boat, required ten days' repairs at Greenock, following which she arrived at Tobermory on 01 Oct 1941 to work up. For the next for months she operated between St. John's and Iceland, but in Jan 1942, she arrived at Londonderry from SC.64, the inaugural "Newfie-Derry" convoy. On 19 Feb 1942, she ran aground on the south entrance of St. John's harbour en route to join convoy HX 176, and although re-floated soon afterward proved to be holed and leaking in several places. Temporary repairs were carried out at St. John's from 20 Feb to 05 Mar 1942 and permanent repairs at Saint John, N.B., from 15 Mar to 25 Jun 1942. Briefly assigned to WLEF, she was detached in Sep 1942 for duties in connection with Operation "Torch", and made here passage to the U.K. with convoy SC.107, which lost 15 ships to U-boats. During the next five months Moose Jaw was employed escorting U.K.-Mediterranean convoys, returning to Halifax on 19 Apr 1943 with convoy ONS.2. Refitted there, she joined Quebec Force at the end of May 1943 for escort duties in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, later transferring to Gaspé Force. She underwent a major refit, including fo'c's'le extension, at Liverpool, N.S., from 19 Dec 1943 to 23 Mar 1944. After working up in St. Margaret's Bay she left Halifax on 01 May 1944 for the U.K., to join Western Approaches Command, Greenock, for invasion duties. She served in the Channel until Sep 1944, when she joined EG 41, Plymouth, and escorted coastal convoys from her base at Milford Haven until the end of the war. She left for home in May 1945, was paid off at Sorel on 08 Jul 1944 and broken up at Hamilton in 1949.