For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS LETHBRIDGE K160
Then Dutch Whale-Catcher NICOLAAS VINKE (1952)
Commissioned at Montreal on 25 Jun 1941, Lethbridge arrived at Halifax on 04 Jul 1941. She served briefly with Sydney Force before joined NEF and leaving Sydney on 11 Oct 1941 with convoy SV.49 for Iceland. She was employed between St. John's and Iceland until Feb 1942, and thereafter on the "Newfie-Derry" run. On 20 Jun 1942, she left Londonderry for the last time, and on her return to Halifax joined Gulf Escort Force to escort Quebec-Sydney convoys. After refitting at Liverpool, N.S., from 10 Sep to 22 Oct 1942 and working up at Pictou, she arrived at New York on 18 Nov 1942 to be placed under U.S. control as escort to New York-Guantanamo convoys. In Mar 1943, she returned to Halifax to join WLEF for the remainder of the war, from Jun 1943, as a member of EG W-3 and from Apr 1944, as a member of W-5. She acquired her extended fo'c's'le during a refit at Sydney from Jan to Mar 1944, which was followed by three weeks' working-up at Bermuda in Apr 1944. She was paid off on 23 Jul 1945, at Sorel and sold to Marine Industries Ltd., who resold her in 1952 for conversion to a whale-catcher. The conversion was completed in 1955, she entered service under the Dutch flag as Nicolaas Vinke. She was broken up at Santander, Spain, in 1966.