For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS KENORA J281 / 191
Then Turkish Naval Vessel BANDIRMA (1957)
Commissioned on 06 Aug 1942, at Port Arthur, she arrived at Halifax on 07 Sep 1942 and proceeded to Pictou for workups. She was then assigned to WLEF and in Jun 1943, became a member of EG W-8. She left Halifax on 21 Feb 1944 with Canso, Guysborough and Wasaga via the Azores for Plymouth, arriving on 08 Mar 1944. Kenora was assigned to the 14th Minesweeping Flotilla, with which she was present on D-Day, and in October returned to Canada for a refit at Liverpool, N.S. She proceeded to the U.K. again in Feb 1945, and was assigned to the 31st Minesweeping Flotilla until 04 Sep 1945, when she left Plymouth for Canada. Kenora was paid off at Halifax on 06 Oct 1945, and placed in reserve at Shelburne. In 1946, she went into strategic reserve at Sorel until re-acquired by the RCN in 1952 and moved to Sydney. On 29 Nov 1957, she was transferred to the Turkish Navy as Bandirma. She was removed from service in 1972.