For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS HUNTSVILLE K499
Former HMS WOOLVESEY CASTLE K461
Then SS WELLINGTON KENT (1947)
Then SS BELLE ISLE II (1951)
Built by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Troon, Scotland, she was laid down and launched as HMS Woolvesey Castle K461. On completion she was transferred to the RCN and commissioned as HMCS Huntsville on 06 Jun 1944, on the Clyde. She worked up at Stornoway early in July and joined EG C-5 at Londonderry later that month, leaving on 11 Aug 1944 for ONS.248, her first convoy. In Nov 1944 Huntsville missed a convoy while under repair in Halifax and acted as local escort to one convoy from St. John's to New York - seemingly the only ship of her class to visit there. Rejoining the Atlantic convoy cycle in Dec 1944, she left Londonderry for the last time on 16 Apr 1945, to meet ON.297. In May 1945 she commenced refit at Halifax, completed in Aug 1945, and in Sep 1945 she was placed in reserve. Paid off for disposal on 15 Feb 1946 at Halifax, and sold that year, she entered service in 1947 as SS Wellington Kent. Renamed Belle Isle II in 1951. In a collision near Trois-Rivieres on 19 Aug 1960, she grounded and burned out.
Convoys escorted during WW II