For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS ELK S05 / Z27
Named Arcadia, she was built by Newport News SB Co., Newport News, VA.. She was acquired by the RCN and left Halifax for Pictou on 21 Jun 1940, for conversion and arming, after which she was commissioned at Halifax on 10 Sep 1940 and transferred to America and West Indies Station. She arrived in Bermuda on 23 Sep 1940, returning to Halifax from America & West Indies Station Bermuda on 13 May 1941. Following a major refit there, she sailed for Trinidad on 02 Dec 1941. On 11 May 1942, she returned to Halifax and was assigned to Sydney Force, serving extensively as escort to Sydney-Corner Brook convoys. In Feb 1943, she was sent to Halifax for repairs, and in May 1943 transferred to Digby as a training ship. A month later, however, she was moved to Shelburne, remaining there until Nov 1943 and then returning to Digby, where she was to be based until the end of the war. She served almost continuously as escort to the ancient British training submarine L.23. Elk was paid off on 04 Aug 1945, and sold. After long service as a short-haul passenger ferry, Grand Manan III, she was sold in 1968 for breaking up.
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten
Former Crew Members
Photos and Documents