For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS DAWSON K104
Built at Victoria, Dawson was commissioned on 06 Oct 1941 and, after working up, joined Esquimalt Force for local patrol duty. On 20 Aug 1942, she arrived at Kodiak, Alaska, to take part in the Aleutian campaign under U.S. operational control, returning to Esquimalt 04 Nov 1942. She resumed her duties with Esquimalt Force until Feb 1943, when she again proceeded to Alaskan waters to work with U.S. naval units until the end of May 1943. In Sep 1943 she commenced a major refit, including fo'c's'le extension, at Vancouver, worked up following its completion 29 Jan 1944, and on 14 Feb 1944 left for Halifax. Arriving there 25 Mar 1944, she joined EG W-7, WEF. Early in Jan 1945, she began a refit at Dartmouth, on completion of which in Apr 1945 she went to Bermuda to work up. The European war had ended by the time she returned, and she was paid off 19 Jun 1945 at Sorel. Sold for scrap; she foundered at her moorings on 22 Mar 1946 at Hamilton. She was later raised and broken up.