For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS DAUPHIN K157
Then Irving owned vessel DUNDAS KENT (c 1946)
Then Honduran Merchant Vessel CORTES (1949)
Then Ecuadorean Merchant Vessel SAN ANTONIO (1955)
Built by Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, she was commissioned at Montreal on 17 May 1941 and arrived at Halifax on 24 May 1941. She joined Sydney Force late in Jun 1941 and in Sep 1941 transferred to Newfoundland Command. She left Sydney on 05 Sep 1941 to join her maiden convoy, SC.43, continuing on to the U.K. for further workups at Tobermory and returning to mid-ocean service in mid-Oct 1941. Dauphin was almost continuously employed as an ocean escort until Aug 1944, after Dec 1942 as a member of EG A-3, (re-designated C-5 in Jun 1943). She escorted three particularly strenuous convoys: SC.100 (Sep 1942), On.166 (Feb 1943), and SC.121 (Mar 1943). In the course of a major refit at Pictou from Apr to Sep 1943, her fo'c's'le was lengthened. Dauphin left Londonderry for the last time on 11 Aug 1944, underwent refit at Liverpool, N.S., then proceeded to Bermuda to work up. Returning in Jan 1945, she was assigned to EG W-7, Western Escort Force, for the balance of the war. She was paid off at Sorel on 20 Jun 1945, and sold for conversion to a merchant ship. Dauphin was converted to a merchant ship at the yards of Steel and Engine Products, Liverpool, NS. Named Dundas Kent, just as she neared completion she caught fire and burned at the pier. Repair, she entered service in 1949 as the Honduran Cortes. She became the Ecuadorian flagged vessel San Antonio in 1955. she was still listed in Lloyd's Register in 1977-78.
Photos and Documents (below)