For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS CORMORANT 781
Built in 1956 by Midland Boat Works, Midland, Ont., Cormorant was launched on 15 May 1956. The Navy turned Loon, Mallard, and Cormorant over to the Crown Assets Disposal Corporation in the 1960s. Some priests of some description bought Cormorant and outfitted her as a floating mission boat for Central America complete with a dental chair. They did not appear to have much knowledge of the sea or seamanship but managed to get Cormorant out Halifax Harbour and down as far as the Eastern United States. The United States Coast Guard terminated their voyage there before they killed themselves, and Cormorant has not been heard from since. Her specifications on completion were: Displacement: 66 tons, Length: 92 Ft, Beam: 17 ft, Draught: 5.3 ft, Speed: 14 kts, Complement: 2 officers, 19 men, Armament: 1-20 mm, hedgehog.
Photos and Documents