For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS CEDARWOOD 530
Launched in 1941 at Lunenburg, N.S., as MC J.E. Kinney, this ship was taken up for war service with he Royal Canadian Army Service Corps and renamed General Schmidlin. Her function seems to have been that of supplying army detachments at scattered harbours in the Maritimes and Nfld. She was commissioned in the RCN on 22 Sep 1948, for oceanographic survey duties on the west coast, and renamed Cedarwood. After being paid off she was fitted with false paddle-wheels and re-fitted to resemble the steamer Commodore as part of the 1958 British Columbia Gold Rush Centennial. She was re-registered in 1961 as the Cedarwood.
Photos and Documents