For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
CC1 and CC2, originally named Iquique and Antofagasta, respectively, were built at Seattle for the Chilean government. However, the deal with the Chileans fell through, and on the eve of the First World War these submarines were purchased by the premier of British Columbia, Sir Richard McBride. The Dominion government ratified the purchase and on 06 Aug 1914 the two boats were commissioned as CC1 and CC2 because of their resemblance to the British "C" class submarines. After three years' cruising and training on the west coast they were ordered to Europe, and on 21 Jun 1917, set out for Halifax with their mother ship Shearwater. On 03 Jul 1917 they arrived in Seattle and were invited, along with the crews of CC2 and Shearwater, to lead the Seattle Independence day Parade on 04 Jul 1917. They were the first warships ever to transit the Panama Canal under the White Ensign. Unfit for a transatlantic crossing, they remained at Halifax until sold for scrap in 1920.
Photos and Documents (below)