For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS CAPE BRETON K350
Built at Quebec City, she was commissioned there on 25 Oct 1943. She arrived at Halifax on 28 Nov 1943 and worked up in St. Margaret's Bay in Jan 1944. Assigned to EG 6, a support group based at Londonderry, she left Halifax for the U.K. on 24 Feb 1944. She operated at various times from "Derry, Portsmouth and Plymouth and in Apr 1944 sailed to Kola Inlet as escort for convoy RA.59. On 28 Apr 1944, Cape Breton, in company with Waskesiu K330, Grou K518 and, Outremont K322 departed Kola Inlet with Convoy RA.59; arriving at Loch Ewe on 06 May 1944. She was also on hand on D-Day. She returned to Canada arriving on 06 Nov 1944 at Shelburne for a major refit. This was completed in Apr 1945 and she was then sent to Bermuda to work up. Assigned to EG 9, she left St. John's on 09 May 1945 with convoy HX.354, and later that month sailed from "Derry direct to Vancouver. A tropicalization refit begun on 26 Jun 1945 was cancelled before completion and the ship was paid of 26 Jan 1946, after several months in reserve at Esquimalt. She was sold in 1947 and expended as a breakwater in 1948, reportedly at Kelsey Bay, B.C.