HMCS BRAS D'OR 400
HMCS Bras d'Or, named for the scene of the first tests (of a hydrofoil in 1919 on the Bras d'Or Lake) and designated a fast hydrofoil escort (FHE), was commissioned in 1968. When "hull-born" at low speeds, the craft was driven by a 2400-BHP diesel engine, but at about 23 knots the foils lift the hull clear of the water, and propulsion was taken over by a 30,000-SHP gas turbine engine powering twin screws. Trial speeds as great as 63 knots were attained. Despite the evident success of the prototype FHE, she was laid up in 1971. In 1982 she was transferred to the Marine Museum at L'Islet-sur-Mer, near Quebec City.
Cdr Constantine Cotaras, RCN - 19 Jul 68 - 06 Jul 1970
Cdr Gordon (Gordie) Lewis Edwards - 06 Jul 1970 - unk
LCdr Ian Aspinall Sturgess - unk - 01 May 1972
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten
Photos and Documents