CAMPERDOWN WIRELESS STATION
Camperdown Signal Station, also known as Camperdown Hill, is significant in Nova Scotia communication history. Overlooking the entrance to Halifax Harbour made it a strategic part of Halifax's defence system in the 18th century. The hill has been used as a customs lookout, signal and telegraph station, observation post and redoubt commanding the Citadel Hill defence complex. The Camperdown Signal Station was built a few miles northward next to nearby Portuguese Cove in 1797, the first of a series of signal stations built by Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. It later became a wireless station and was operational until 1925.
The Dominion Government Steamer (DGS) 'Canada' was the first ship to contact the Camperdown Wireless Station, on June 19th, 1905. She was one of the first three Canadian ships fitted with wireless in 1904.