For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
DIGBY ISLAND WIRE STATION
The radio station of Prince Rupert opened in 1911 and was located on Digby Island. The cable to the mainland was laid and a landline was built along the Grand Trunk poles to the city of Prince Rupert. The opening of the Prince Rupert radio station marked the completion of a chain of communication extending from Vancouver to northern British Columbia. The province now had full coverage of its coast. The chain of stations provided the only means of communication with the Queen Charlotte Islands, plus offering communications services to commercial stations installed by owners of lumber camps, canneries, and paper mills. The station covered the entrance to Prince Rupert Harbour as well as the surrounding waters of Digby Island. The station remained at Digby Island until 1967 when its services were combined with those of Prince Rupert radio. In 1981, marine communications were moved to Seal Cove.