For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Naval Radio Station
Established near Dartmouth, Nova Scotia in 1942, Naval Radio Station (NRS) Albro Lake call sign CFH, served as a naval radio communications station for the Atlantic Coast. The station was divided into a receiving site at Albro Lake and a transmitter site at Newport Corner, Nova Scotia. Set up under a veil of secrecy during the height of the North Atlantic U-boat threat, this small village near Halifax became the home of an invaluable weapon during the Battle of the Atlantic. Despite a price tag of more than $6 million, an exorbitant expense in those days, the facility more than paid for itself in Allied shipping saved. Its signal could be heard and read from Murmansk to the Falklands and half way around the world. Renamed HMC NRS Albro Lake on July 1, 1956, the station served under that name until her closure. The growth of Dartmouth from a small town into a city created problems for receiving radio signals at Albro Lake. The Navy decided to relocate the radio station and as a result, Albro Lake closed in 1968. A new radio communications station, Canadian Forces Station Mill Cove, was opened 40 miles southwest of Halifax. The cutover occurred from August 31 to September 18, 1967.