For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Glen Class Tug GLENDEVON W38 / YTB 505
Built by McKenzie Barge and Derrick Co. Ltd., at Vancouver B.C., Glendevon was the first naval tugboat constructed in BC. On 18 Jan 1945, the Naval Ensign was hoisted on HMCS Glendevon for the firs time. On 28 Apr 1947 Glendevon was dispatched to participate in the search for the missing Trans Canada Airlines Lockheed Lodestar that disappeared over Southwestern BC. No trace of the aircraft was found. (note: in 1994 the remains of the Loadestar was found on a mountain near Chilliwack) Glendevon operated out of Esquimalt until she was removed from service and sold on 31 Mar 1964 to West Coast Salvage and Contracting Co. Ltd. Sold numerous times over the year, she was purchased in 1992 by Mr. Art Anderson of Vancouver who restored her (with the exception of a few extra luxuries) to her original tug configuration.
Photos and Documents