For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

HMCS TECUMSEH

Former RCNVR Division Calgary

Former Calgary Half-Company, RCNVR

Calgary, Albert

In pace bellum para

 

In Peace Prepare

For War

HMCS Tecumseh, Calgary, Alberta

 

Tecumseh was first established as the Calgary Half-Company, RCNVR on 31 Mar 1923. On 01 Nov 1941, the division was commissioned as HMCS Tecumseh - after the Shawnee chief who served with the British and Canadian military force in the war of 1812.  In 1943 the division moved to its present location on 17 Avenue SW, Calgary. During WWII over 4,500 personnel enlisted at Tecumseh, including Lt Robert Hampton Gray,the ony person in the RCN to be awarded the Victoria Cross. Tecumseh suffered a major fire in 1981 and has since been rebuilt and is a modern training facility. In addition to the Naval Reserves, Tecumseh houses 746 Comm Squadron (a reserve unit), Royal Canadian Arm Cadet Corps Signals, RCSCC Undaunted, the Navy League of Canada Cadet Corps Captain Jackson, and the Naval Museum of Alberta.

 

Photos and Documents

 

Commanding Officers

Lt Raymond Hinton, RCNVR - 01 Apr 1923 - unknown 

 

  

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

 

Photos and Documents

 

 

HMCS TECUMSEH - Officers - 1946

From the collection of Hugh Hamilton

Courtesy of Rick Hamilton

 

(5) Lt Hugh Hamilton

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT