Halifax Half-Company RCNVR
Halifax Division RCNVR
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Halifax Half-Company existed from 1925 to 1939 in HMC Dockyard. On the outbreak of the Second World War, the entire company volunteered for active service and was disbanded. Re-established in March 1943 as HMCS HALIGONIAN, it served as a recruiting centre until V.E. day, when it became a final discharge centre for sailors returning from overseas. HMCS HALIGONIAN was paid off in 1946.
Re-commissioned on 23 Apr 1947 as HMCS SCOTIAN, it was assigned the role of a seaward defence training division in 1951. Today many reservists from SCOTIAN are crewing the Kingston class MCDVs, port security units and NCAGS units. HMCS SCOTIAN was involved in the Swissair recovery of Peggy's Cove in 1998, and contributed to deployment operations in Afghanistan and elsewhere. The unit moved into is present building in 1985.
Ship's Company Photo - undated
Courtesy of the Naval Museum of Halifax