For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Fairmile Motor Launch - Q124
Then PTC 724 / HMCS Elk 724 (1954)
Then PACIFIC GOLD
Built by Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd., Vancouver, B.C., she was delivered to the RCN on 30 June 1944. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels). Q124 was a Type "B" ML, Displacement: 79 tons, Length: 112 ft, Beam: 17 ft, Draught: 4.9 ft, Speed: 22 kts, Complement: 3 officers, 14 men, Armament: 3-20mm. Paid off in 1945, she was re-acquired by the RCN and in 1954 renamed HMCS Elk. Removed from service and sold 1956, she became Teirrah, and later Pacific Gold.
From The Fairmiles - Canada's Little Ships "As listed in a naval call sign document dated June 8th, 1948 as HMC ML124 call sign CZDL. She became HMCS ELK in 1954, based on the West Coast with international call sign CZDL, pendant 724 and radiotelephone “Catapult A”. HMCS ELK was discarded in 1956. She was the only post World War II Fairmile to serve on the West Coast."