For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Fairmile Motor Launch - Q120
Then NELVANA II (1945)
Then THE LADY GALADRIEL
Then MARYLAND INDEPENDENCE (1986 - 2003)
Note: Names after sold for civilian use may not be in sequence
Built by LeBlanc Shipbuilding History, J.H., Weymouth, N.S., she was delivered to the RCN on 27 Jan 1944. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels). Q120 was a "B" Type ML, Displacement: 79 tons, Length: 112 ft, Beam: 17 ft, Draft: 4.9 ft, Speed: 22 kts, Complement: 3 officers, 14 men, Armament: 3-20mm. In Jan 1944, Q120 was part of the 82nd ML Flotilla. In Jan 1945, her CO, A/LCdr John Maxwell Todd was S.O. of the 82nd ML Flotilla. Sold in 1945 to Upper Lakes and St. Lawrence Transportation Company, Toronto and was she was renamed Nelvana II, later Osceola, The Lady Galadriel, and Independence. In 1986 the state of Maryland bought her in 1986 and renamed her Maryland Independence. While owned by the state, she was powered by twin 260 HP Volvo diesel engines and had a cruising speed of twelve knots. She was operated and maintained by three full-time and one part-time personnel. She had a carrying capacity of 35 passengers and could accommodate 70 passengers while dockside. The vessel also had 3 guest staterooms, main and dining salons, 2 guest heads, galley, crew quarters, sundeck and flybridge. She was the sailing ambassador for the state of Maryland. On December 11th, 2003, the State of Maryland sold the on E-Bay for $275,000 to Paul W. Davies of Hagerstown, Maryland, who purchased her for recreation use. He owned her until October 2006, when John Mabry III and Timothy Dauses purchased her.