For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Fairmile Motor Launch - Q104
Then PTC 704 / HMCS COUGAR 704
Delivered to the RCN on 04 Aug 1943. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels). In Feb 1944 and Feb 1945, Q104 was listed as part of the 70th ML Flotilla. In Apr 1944, her CO, Lt McLaughlin, was the S.O. of the 70th ML Flotilla. In Feb 1945, her CO, Lt Galway, was the SO of the 70th ML Flotilla. Q014 was removed from service in 1945. On 15 Sep 1945, three Fairmiles (Q 104, Q 105 and Q 107) were towed by the ships Glencove and Glenora to Rimouski for the Arts and Trades School. Q104 was then loaned to Quebec Provincial Government. Re-acquired by the navy she became HMCS Cougar in 1954, international call sign CYXC, pendant 704 and radiotelephone “Disband Z". In Jan 1956 she was transferred to HMCS Star, Hamilton, Ontario as “tender” and paid off on 04 Nov 1956. About 1957, she was moved by land to the Dundas Branch of the Navy League for their Sea Cadets as “club house” (at the Desjardins Canal, north side of Hamilton Harbour), RCSCC Dundas Sea Cadets. She was scrapped there in the late 70s.
Photos and Documents