For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Fairmile Motor Launch - Q081
Built by Honey Harbour Nav Co. Ltd., Midland, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 17 May 27 1942. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels). Q081 was a "B" Type ML, Displacement: 79 tons, Length: 112 ft, Beam: 7.9 ft, Draught: 4.9 ft, Speed: 20kts, Complement: 3 officers, 14 men, Armament: 3-20mm. In Mar 1944, Q081 was listed as part of the 79th ML Flotilla. Her CO, Lt Stairs was listed as the SO of the 79th ML Flotilla in Apr 1944. Removed from service on 21 Jun 1945, she was sold in 1947 to Louis Levin, Montreal, Quebec. Renamed Esso Taparita, she was destroyed by fire in 1948.
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten
Former Crew Members