For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

landing Craft Infantry - Large

LCI(L) 250

Soldiers boarding LCI(L) 250

Courtesy of Dave Shirlaw, RCN News Magazine 

 

Laid down: 14 Sep 1942

Launched: 18 Oct 1942

Transferred to RCN: 29 Jan 1944

Paid off: 31 Aug 1944

Fate: Unknown

 

LCI(L) 250 was built in the USA and transferred to the RN on completion. She was transferred to the RCN on 29 Jan 1944. Paid off on 31 Aug 1944, she was returned to the RN and then on 27 Mar 1945 she was returned to the USN.

 

Commanding Officers

Lt Hugh McColl Harrison, RCNVR (was CO on 06 Jun 1944 for D-Day Landings)

 

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

 

Former Crew Members

Jeffrey, Philip, L/Cox'n - Jun 1944 

 

 

 

Photos and Documents (below)

 

Crew members of landing craft LCI(L) 250 signed this White Ensign (bottom left) and used it to record details of their home ports and operations. Part of the Canadian 262nd Flotilla, LCI(L) 250 was based in a variety of English ports (top right). On D-Day, it landed members of the Highland Light Infantry of Canada on the beach at St. Aubin (bottom right), striking a German mine in the process. In June, July, and August, 250 transported British and American troops to locations in Normandy (bottom right).

 

 Source: Canadian War Museum CWM 20050060-001

Courtesy of the Canadian War Museum

 

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT