For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

Landing Craft Infantry - Large

LCI(L) 249

LCI(L) 249 in Drydock, Portsmouth England

Source: Canadian War Museum George Metcalf Archival Collection CWM 20020039-001_p20a

Courtesy of the Canadian War Museum

 

Laid down: 22 Oct 1942

Launched: 16 Dec 1942

Transferred to RCN: 04 Dec 1943

Paid off: 03 Sep 1944

Fate: Returned to the RN and later USN. Final disposition unknown.

 

Built in the USA, she was transferred to the RN on completion and commissioned into the RN on 24 Dec 1942 as LCI(L)-249. She was transferred to the RCN on 04 Dec 1943. During the D-Day landing she struck a mine on the way in to the beach though none of 192 soldiers on board were injured, but they had to disembark in deeper water than had been planned and struggled to get their equipment ashore. Another landing craft towed 249 back to England, where the damage was repaired. On 03 Sep 1944 she was transferred back to the RN, and in Jan 1948, back to the USN.

 

Commanding Officers

Lt John Edward O'Rourke, RCNVR

 

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

S-T

Tucker, Frank

1922-2015

 

 

 

 

 

Photos and Documents

 

Links

Personal photo gallery of Frank Tucker

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT