RMS LADY RODNEY
In 1929 she was owned by the Canadian National (West Indies) Steamships, Ltd, Montreal, QC and LADY RODNEY Ltd., Toronto, ON. The LADY RODNEY was the last remaining liner CNS fleet to be taken over by Department of National Defence. She served as a troopship between Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador. LADY RODNEY was the only one of the Lady Boats not sunk during WW2. As the war came to a close and troops were returned home, LADY RODNEY along with Lady Nelson, Aquitania, Scythia, Letitia, Ile de France, and Mauretania were pressed into service bringing home the Canadian War Brides and their children - approximates 27,000 brides and 9,000 children. Her service completed, LADY RODNEY was returned to her owners. LADY RODNEY Ltd sold her shares to Canadian National (West Indies) Steamships Ltd in 1952. In 1953 she and her sister Lady Nelson were sold to Egypt for $750,000, complete with all fittings and accessories. After being refitted at Alexandria and then renamed, they were used to carry passengers in the Mediterranean and Red Seas.
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten
Photos and Documents
War brides enroute to Canada on board the LADY RODNEY - 1946
Aartje Marie Brauner (nee VanDeventer) from Zeist, Netherlands is furthest on the right in the dark clothes. She married Lester William Brauner who was from Birch River, Manitoba. Lester Brauner was in the Canadian Army and part of the Liberation of Holland. They lived in Sheridan, Manitoba after the war, then farmed in the Birch River area.
From the collection of Aartje Marie Brauner
Courtesy of Kathy Fogh