For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
S.S. KOOTENAY PARK
Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship (D.E.M.S.)
Completed on 06 Oct 1944, Kootenay Park was a Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship (DEMS). Though manned by a civilian crew, she had RCN sailors on board to man and operate the gun that was fitted to her for protection and convoy defence.
Built by Burrard Dry Dock Company Ltd., North Vancouver, BC - once completed, Kootenay Park was managed by the Canadian-Australasian Line Limited of Vancouver until 1946 when she was sold to Seaboard Shipping Limited of Vancouver and renamed Seaboard Pioneer. Her name was inspired from Kootenay National Park, established in 1920 in British Columbia.
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten
Photos and Documents
Poem about the SS Kootenay Park written by DEMS Gunner L.A. Smith