For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
KIPAWO (KIPAWA?) / BD 8
Built at Saint John, NB, she was owned, pre-war, by Dominion Atlantic Railway as a Minas Basin passenger / car ferry. Kipawo was requisitioned for naval service. On 23 Apr 1941 she left Syndey, NS for Montreal, arriving there on 04 May 1941 for refit and conversion. She was commissioned as a tender to HMCS Avalon at St. John's, NFLD as BD 8. She was used at Bell Island as a boom maintenance vessel to build the anti-submarine boom. From 1946 to 1951 she was owned by Crosbie & Co. Ltd., St. John's Newfoundland for the Bell island to Portugal Cove ferry run. In 1952-1974 she was owned by Terra Nova Transportation Ltd., St. John's NL. In 1974 she was owned by Fogo Transport Ltd., Fogo NL.In 1975-1982 she was owned by Bonavista Boat Towus Ltd., Shoal Harbour (Trinity Bay) NL. In 1985 she was owned by the Kipawa Heritage Society, Wolfville NS as a floating museum and theatre.