For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Former Yacht TARANTULA
This former yacht was built as Tarantula for W.K. Vanderbilt, Jr., and acquired by the RCN in 1914. Converted into a torpedo boat by the addition of two tubes, Tuna was commissioned on 05 Dec 1914. She was paid off on 10 May 1917, as a result of irreparable engine-mount fracture. He hull, sold in Jun 1918, and stripped for salvage, still lay in Halifax's Northwest Arm in the 1930s.