For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS TRURO J268
Built at Levis, Que, she was commissioned at Quebec City on 27 Aug 1942 and arrived at Halifax on 15 Sep 1942. Initially allocated to WLEF, she became a member of newly created EG W-4 in Jun 1943. In May 1944, she was transferred to Sydney Force, and from Dec 1944 to Feb 1945, underwent a major refit at Lunenburg. Truro was then assigned briefly to Halifax Force before returning to Sydney Force until Jun 1945. Paid off on 31 Jul 1945 at Sydney, she was handed over to the RCMP on 03 Aug 1945 and renamed Herchmer. She was never commissioned and was paid off on 06 Aug 1946. She was converted to the commercial vessel Gulf Mariner in 1947. Abandoned ashore in the Fraser River after plans to convert her to a suction dredge had fallen though, she was broken up in 1964.
Photos and Documents