For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

HMCS ST. ELOI

Then Lightship No. 20

Then Gate Vessel 12

HMCS St. Eloi

Source: The Ships of Canada's Naval Forces 1910-1981 by Ken Macpherson & John Burgess

 

Launched: 02 Aug 1917

Commissioned: 13 Nov 1917

Paid off: 1920

Re-commissioned: 1940

Paid off: Jun 1945

Fate: Transferred to Dept of Marine and Fisheries. Final disposition unknown.

 

Built at Toronto, St. Eloi was commissioned on 13 Nov 1917. Like Messines, she was turned over to the Department of Marine and Fisheries in 1920 for conversation and ultimately designated Lightship 20. The RCN recovered her in 1940 and she became Gate Vessel 12 for the duration of the war, spending at least part of that time at Shelburne. The Department of Transport, successor to the Department of Marine and Fisheries, took her back in Jun 1945 and she was not finally disposed of until 1962.

 

Commanding Officers

Ch/Skpr Norman Howard Pentz, RCNR - 15 May 1941 - unk

Ch/Skpr Paul Edouard Blouin, RCNR - 01 May 1942 - unk

Skpr William Ivan Vernon Power, RCNR - 31 May 1942 - unk

Ch/Skpr Paul Edouard Blouin, RCNR - 01 May 1943 - unk

Skpr William Ivan Vernon Power, RCNR - 17 May 1943 - unk

 

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

A-B

Anderson, Alexander

____-____

Drafted to St. Eloi on 01 May 1918 as A/Art (E), RCN

 

 

 

 

C-D

Corkum, John Conrad

____-____

Drafted to St. Eloi on 01 May 1918 as Ch/Skpr, RCN

 

 

 

 

G-H

Hillyer, Leonard Arthur

____-____

Drafted to St. Eloi on 01 May 1918 as W. Op 3rd Cl, RNCVR

 

 

 

 

K-L

Laurie, William

____-____

Drafted to St. Eloi on 01 May 1918 as A/Art (E), RCN

 

 

 

 

S-T

Thomas, Vernon G.S.

____-____

Drafted to St. Eloi on 01 May 1918 as Mate, RNCVR

 

 

 

 

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT