For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS SHEDIAC K110
Built at Lauzon, Que, she was commissioned at Quebec City on 08 Jul 1941. Shediac arrived at Halifax on 18 Jul 1941. She served briefly with Halifax Force and Sydney Force before joining Newfoundland Command in Oct 1941, leaving Sydney 05 Oct 1941 to escort convoy SC.48 to Iceland. After three round trips there, she accompanied SC.67 to Londonderry in Jan 1942, again the first of three return trips. Following a six-week refit at Liverpool, N.S., she joined WLEF in Jul 1941, returning in Oct 1941 to the "Newfie-Derry" run as a member of EG C-1. She took part in two major convoy battles: ONS.92 (May 1942); and ONS.154 (Dec 1942). On 04 Mar1943, while escorting KMS.10, a U.K.-Gibraltar convoy, she assisted in the destruction of U 87 west of the Azores. She left Londonderry for the last time on 28 Mar 1943, underwent refit at Liverpool, N.S., from 27 Apr to 01 Jul 1943, then joined WLEF's EG W-8. Transferred to the west coast, she left Halifax 03 Apr 1944, and arrived at Esquimalt 10 May 1044. She refitted at Vancouver from mid-Jun to mid-Aug 1944, in the process receiving her extended fo'c's'le. She was paid off at Esquimalt on 28 Aug 1945 and sold in 1951 for conversion to a whale-catcher, entering service as the Dutch-flag Jooske W. Vinke in 1954. She was broken up at Santander, Spain, in 1965.
Photos and Documents