For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS REVELSTOKE J373 / 140
Built at Star Shipyards Lt., New Westminster, B.C., she was commissioned at New Westminster on 04 Jul 1944. She spent her wartime service as part of Esquimalt and Prince Rupert Force, being paid off on 02 Sep 1945. Revelstoke was re-commissioned for passage to Halifax for a time. She was re-commissioned in the summer and fall of 1952 and 1953 for use as a tender at St. John's, NFLD. She was finally paid off on 23 Oct 1953, for transfer to the Department of Indian Affairs. She was later sold in 1956.
Two members of HMCS Revelstoke's crew were credited with the rescue of a civilian from St. John's harbor January 26 1951, two days before this little minesweeper sailed for Halifax and Bermuda to take up temporary duties as a tender to HMCS Magnificent. The two men who figured in the rescue were Leading Seaman Hubert Hibbs, of Portugal Cove, Conception Bay, Nfld., and Cedric A. Windsor, of St. John's. Both are RCN(R). It was the second rescue of this sort performed by members of the ship's company in a month. The Revelstoke spent the greater part of February in the Bermuda area working in co-operation with the Magnificent. Of her crew of two officers and 15 men, only three, are RCN personnel, the rest being naval reservists borne on the books of HMCS Cabot, the naval division at St. John's. (Source: The Munnin Project - Crowsnest Magazine April 1951)
Photos and Documents (below)