For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS NORTH BAY K339
Then Bahamian Merchant Vessel KENT COUNTY II (1946)
Then GALLOWAY KENT (1950)
Then BEDFORD II (1951)
Built at Collingwood, she was commissioned there on 25 Oct 1943. North Bay arrived at Halifax on 29 Nov 1943, and in Dec 1943 carried out workups in St. Margaret's Bay. On completion of these she was assigned to EG 9, Londonderry, making her passage there as escort to convoy SC.154 early in Mar 1944. When EG 9 became a frigates-only group, North Bay returned to St. John's in Apr 1944 and became a member of EG C-4. From 11 Dec 1944 to mid-Feb 1945, she underwent a refit at Sydney and proceeded to Bermuda to work up. On completing this exercise she sailed directly to St. John's to join EG C-2, but later in Apr 1945 she was transferred to C-3 and, on 30 Apr 1945, left St. John's to join convoy SC.174 for a final trip to Londonderry. She returned in May 1945 with ON.304 and was paid off on 01 Jul 1945 and laid up at Sorel. In 1946 she was sold for merchant service and became the Bahamian Kent County II; renamed Galloway Kent in 1950; renamed Bedford II in 1951.