Auxiliary Patrol Ship
Originally a fishing trawler, Newington was purchased in 1908 by the Dominion government for use as a lighthouse tender. In 1914 she was crudely fitted as a minelayer to lay a defensive minefield in Johnstone Strait, should need arise. She served the RCN on the west coast as a patrol vessel during the First World War, then reverted to government service until 1937, when she was sold. When she sank in Burrard Inlet, B.C., on 26 Aug 1959, she was 60 years old.