For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

HMCS MARVITA Z44

Former Rum Runner MARVITA

HMCS Marvita

Source: The Ships of Canada's Naval Forces 1910-1981 by Ken Macpherson and John Burgess

 

Acquired by RCN: 1941

Commissioned: 1941

Paid off: 1945

Fate: Returned to previous owner in 1946, then transferred to the Dept. of Revenue in 1949. She foundered 15 Jul 1954

 

Built in Mahone bay, NS, this wooden-hulled craft saw service as a rum-runner during the early 1930s but was in the employ of the Newfoundland government when the RCN chartered her in 1941.  Marvita served as an examination vessel until 1945, returning to her previous owners in 1946.  She was transferred to the federal Department of Revenue in 1949, and was lost on Cape Ballard, Nfld., on 15 July 1954.

 

Commanding Officers

Ch/Skpr Michael Dermot MacDonald, RCNR - 14 Mar 1943 - unk

Lt Marcus Henry Roberts, RCNR - 01 Feb 1945 - unk

  

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

G-H

Guy, Allan Ross

1925-2016

 

 

 

 

 

 Former Crew Members

Buckley, George Henry, Skpr, RCNR - 18 May 1943

Housell, Frederick, Ch/Skpr, RCNR - 01 May 1941

Ritcey, Gerald Macintosh, Ch/Skpr, RCNR - 11 Feb 1944 / Jan 1945

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT