HMCS LOCH ALVIE K428
Loch Class Frigate
Built at Whiteinch, Glasgow, she was launched as HMS LOCH ALVIE. Transferred to the RCN, she was commissioned on August 10, 1944, at Dalmuir, Scotland as HMCS LOCH ALVIE. She carried out workups at Tobermory and joined EG 9, Londonderry, in Sep 1944. Briefly based at Portsmouth and Plymouth, LOCH ALVIE served in U.K. waters for the duration of the war, except for a trip to Gibraltar in Oct 1944 and to Iceland in May 1945, to escort convoy JW.67 to North Russia. On 12 May 1945, HMCS LOCH ALVIE K428, HMCS NENE K270, HMCS MATANE K444 and HMCS ST PIERRE K680 departed Clyde with convoy JW.67 bound for Russia. On 16 May 1945, HMCS LOCH ALVIE and HMCS NENE were detached to escort 14 surrendered U-boats from Trondheim to Loch Eribol. Like Monnow, she never saw a Canadian port. She was paid off at Sheerness on 11 Jun 1945 and returned to the RN, which laid her up in reserve there. She was later re-commissioned as HMS LOCH ALVIE F428 for service in Far Eastern waters, following, which she was laid up at Singapore. After being cannibalized for parts, she was broken up there in 1965.
The Royal Canadian Navy and the Narvik U-Boats - May 1945 by Derek Waller, Air Commodore, RAF, ret'd
LCdr Ernest George Old, RCNR - 10 Aug 1944 - 11 Jun 1945
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten
Former Crew Members