For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS HALLOWELL K666
Commissioned on 08 Aug 1944, at Montreal, Hallowell arrived at Halifax on 03 Sep 1944 and left a month later for Bermuda to work up. Returning early in Nov 1944, she was allocated to EG C-1 and was Senior Officer's ship from Dec 1944 onward, remaining with the group until the end of the European war. She left St. John's 28 Nov 1944 to join convoy HX.322, and was thereafter continuously employed escorting North Atlantic convoys. Early in Jun 1945, she left Greenock for home, and in Jul and Aug 1945 was engaged in transporting troops from St. John's to Canada. She was paid off at Sydney on 07 Nov 1945 and placed in reserve at Shelburne. Sold to Uruguayan interests in 1946, she was re-sold to a Palestinian firm in 1949 for conversion to a short-service Mediterranean ferry and re-named Sharon. In 1952 she was acquired by the Israeli Navy, re-converted to a warship and re-named Misnak. In 1959, she was again sold, this time to the Sinhaliese (Sri Lanka) Navy and re-named Gajubahu. She was discarded in 1978.
Photos and Documents